Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Storytelling

If you talked to my parents, grandparents or even anyone who knew me as a kid they would tell you I could tell stories! My grandpa banned me from saying 'just kidding' because I would say something and it would be immediately followed by just kidding. My mom says that she couldn't tell if I were ever lying because I was so convincing. I'll give a couple examples of my story telling....

In 5th grade I had told a couple classmates that John Stockton was my uncle. Why you might ask? Well the truth is I'm not really sure I just did. At first they were hesitant to believe me but how can you question the cute shy girl who can tell you every detail of the house and the little dog not to mention John's pregnant wife. (She wasn't pregnant, well maybe she was. I don't know, I don't know them!) They were very jealous he was my uncle so I promised them some tickets to a Jazz game and signed jerseys. My friend Jenny Walker Sullivan said she'd help me make them some jerseys. She's always been an excellent sewer. We thought it'd be funny to bring them fake signed jerseys. But what would we do about tickets? Hmm what to do what to do. My mom had the answer.... I had to tell them the truth. :) Don't worry they weren't mad they probably just had the same question my parents always had. "Why the story?"

So I mentioned Jenny already well my second example has to do with her. One day we were talking on the phone and I just started telling her about the movie I was going to be in. Dennis Quaid was going to be my father in it. She Also didn't believe me at first, but I started to tell her details of it and she was getting very excited for me. I told her I had just gotten back from a photo shoot with Dennis because in the movie there is a family album on the coffee table so they needed pics to put it in. (As I am remembering this I am laughing so hard! I am so sorry Jenny I will seek out help I promise!) I can't remember everything I told her but the thing that really sold her on it was my best friend in the movie. I told her that in the movie I had this best friend and they hadn't cast her yet because they were wanting to go with one of my real friends so it was really believable. She went crazy, "Pick me, Pick me." Of course I told her I wanted her to do it. I don't know how long I let her believe this but needless to say she asked me, "WHY?" When I came forward with the truth.

I can't answer that question! I can tell you what I have decided I need to do. I AM WRITING A BOOK. I'll tell Bry, "Why don't you do this or why don't you do that?" Bryant is constantly telling me, "Life isn't a chic flick." I'm going to write a chic flick and it will accomplish two things: first I can lie all I want in it and it will be okay, and second it'll be like I'm living in a chic flick.

Two years ago I actually decided I wanted to write a book and lots of things happened. We moved to and from Oregon. Had little Brookies. Bry has had crazy school semesters so I was pretty much a single parent... blah blah blah I'm just making excuses for not doing it. I am going to give myself a deadline and push myself to do it. I also figured if I said out loud to everyone it would push me more. So Bry graduates next April and I want to be done writing my first draft by then!

Well I guess I better get off my blog cause I have lots of research to do on writing a book! :)

2 comments:

  1. that is hilarious. I love John Stockton...I wish he was my uncle. And good for you for writing a book!! Seriously! I will buy it:) Car always tells me to write a book, cause I have always loved to write, so maybe I will join you in your research! We can write our books together! I'm sure they will be totally different books, but what a fun adventure!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to take your pics when you get out here. I can't wait to see you guys. And good luck on the book, it sounds like you'll have no trouble making it up.

    ReplyDelete