Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Tubes Day!


Yesterday Brooklyn got tubes in her ears. This was a very hard decision for me to make. When the topic first came up with her doctor (Dr Zachary Zarbock- he's awesome if anyone is looking for a Dr.) I was hesitant. Obviously I would do what ever was best for Brooklyn but at that point it was we could get them if we wanted or wait and see if the ear infections stopped. Bry and I decided to see if they would stop. We hated the thought of the surgery and signing papers if anything went wrong it was ok and we wouldn't do anything about it etc. But then she'd get another one and she wouldn't be doing good, so we decided to do it. We called Primary Children's Hospital and the consultation was 6 weeks out. That made me feel bad we waited :( But anyhow that day came and we scheduled the surgery for April 12th. Friday they called me with the time and instructions. No food after midnight, clear liquids and jello up until 10am and be at the hospital at 12:30. Brooklyn hardly ate all weekend and pretty much nothing on Sunday. I tried forcing her to eat but I failed. My plan for keeping her from eating was to bring her in my bed once she woke up Monday and we'd put a movie on and play. I knew we went downstairs she'd ask for yogurt and eat! It worked for a while but once it was 10 o'clock and she was asking for apple juice and I couldn't give her any more it was getting hard. Bryant was at school till 11 and then we were going to head to Riverton Hospital. I only had an hour I needed to distract her. We got ready and I was going to go for a drive but instead we ended up playing in the back of the car. As long as we weren't in the house she didn't ask for food or drinks.
Bryant had a group project at 3pm so after the surgery when Brooklyn woke up he was going to stay as long as he could. If Brooklyn wasn't discharged yet my mom would come sit with us and take us to her house. So we wanted to get to the hospital as early as we could to have paper work and everything done. I think we got there at 12:10 and she still didn't go back for the surgery until like 1:50pm. Before they took her we decided to give her the versid or what ever that medicine is that makes them really loopy so they don't cry and know what's going on when they took her from us. It hadn't kicked in yet cause she was crying and the
anesthesiologist had to carry her instead of pulling her in the wagon. But the surgeon said that there was still a chance she wouldn't remember that. So we watched them walk away and we walked to the waiting room. I asked where a vending machine was as soon as I got back from the vending machine I checked the time and it was 2:02pm and at 2:06pm the nurse said they were done and the surgeon was going to come talk to us. We moved to the consultation room. He came in and said everything went great. Gave us the instructions on how to care for the tubes and said it'd be like 15 min's until they came to get us to be with Brooklyn. Right as we walked into the waiting room the nurse was there and said we could go back. It all was so fast and nice! The nurse in charge of Brooklyn said normally they don't bring the parents back until the child is awake but she thought it'd be nice for Brooklyn to wake up to familiar faces :) I love that nurse! It was sad to see Brooklyn like that but even then she was so cute. She took forever to wake up. I think she finally woke up just before 3pm needless to say Bryant was very late for his group meeting. She would do a little cry and then fall asleep. And every now and then ask for juice. So then Bry said he was leaving and he snuck away. Brooklyn then woke up for good and started screaming and failing all over. She'd ask for something and then throw it. I tried everything to comfort her and she'd say go away and ask for Dada. The nurse said that this reaction is normal for children who have the versid. She said I know you don't want to hear this but this is the behavior we expect. So instead of keeping us there she said I could take her and if she doesn't stop then to call them. My mom came and picked us up. When she walked in Brooklyn yelled GAMMA and reached for, but when my mom reached for her she said NO and flailed into me. (That's why I'm not sad she was asking for Dada and not wanting me, because she really did want me!) Brookies cried the whole way to my mom's and once we were inside I offered her chicken nuggets. She didn't want them but she sat quietly on my lap while I started to it and then she grabbed a nugget and ate it and started laughing and being cute, and that was the end of the screaming. Thank goodness. It was awful seeing her like that. She didn't know what to do with herself and I couldn't do anything to make her feel better.
She had a rough time sleeping last night, but they said to expect that. And this morning she was a little whiney but now she's getting back to 100%. We went to the post office today and her silly songs cd was playing. She's always liked it but today she was laughing so hard to it. It was so cute! She's liking that she can hear everything clearly :)
I'm so glad we are done with yesterday. I didn't sleep all weekend and I'd cry thinking about my poor baby having surgery. But I have to say that Sunday night Bryant gave me a blessing and I slept alright and I cried during Brooklyn's blessing before we left for the hospital, but I didn't cry at the hospital! I did good. The sadest part was seeing her in the bed before she woke up. I got teary eyed then.


Playing in the car to distract her
from eating and drinking




Playing with bubbles.



She's just chilling on the way to the
hospital.



Just arriving at Riverton Hospital





Watching Animal Planet in the waiting room



I thought she was so stinking cute in
the hospital gown. :)



She's doing her sexy pose.



WAITING ROOM

Coloring








She put the baby doll in the carseat
and she carried it around forever. :)





They just gave her versid and she wasn't
allowed to walk anymore.



She didn't ride in the wagon. The
anesthesiologist had to carry her.
(they let her take the baby back)


First time seeing her. We weren't
allowed to touch her until she was awake.







She had to drink 4 oz before she could be
discharged. She almost drank 8.


3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that is over. You did a great job of documenting everything. You know, you will not be able to have more kids because they will all feel let down when you don't take millions of pictures of them and keep a blog and document everything. Do like me, and just throw everything in a box. Maybe start a scrapbook but get worn out after Kindergarten and go straight to high school graduation. I think that is the best way to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been busy. Hopefully no more ear infections and just happy baby from now on. She really is SUPER cute! But don't tell Bryant I said that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, I'm glad that is over for you! It's so sad to see your baby go through that! Brikayla had tear duct surgery when she was 15 months old and it was a hard thing to go through, but so glad we did it :) Glad everything is great, Brooklyn is soo cute!

    ReplyDelete